Print this post

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Interview with Esther Dardik: From South America to southern Samaria


Esther Dardik has worked as the Office Manager at the Bet El Yeshiva for over 22 years. Originally from Argentina, Esther made Aliyah in 1977 at the age of 20 with her husband, and settled in Bet El in 1992.
In this interview she discusses her family's journey from Nazi Germany to South America and ultimately to the Land of Israel. Her story exemplifies the saying "It is a greatmitzvah [good deed] to be happy always."

[Interview conducted by Sharona eshet-Kohen and translated by Hillel Fendel]

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK): Esther, how many years have you worked for Bet El Institutions?

Esther Dardik (ED): I've been working at the Bet El Yeshiva for 22 1/2 years, since the year 5957 (1997).

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK): Where are you from originally? How were your raised and what was your childhood like?

Esther Dardik (ED): I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. I grew up in a very loving and close family. I have a sister and brother who I love very much and who also raised wonderful families in Israel. My father z"l was of German origin. He and his family escaped from Nazi Germany to Argentina in 1939, when he was 13 years old. My mother was born in Brazil, "on the way," when her family was also escaping Germany.

As a child, because there was no elementary school in my neighborhood, we learned as a "German" school, in which there were classes in both Spanish and German. There were many Jews at this school, but few were religious like us.

My parents did not get to go to high school at all. They needed to help support their parents who found it very difficult to acclimatize there. Barukh HaShem our homes were "kosher," and my parents gave me a religious education, and from the age of six we learned Hebrew with a private tutor. For me and Hebrew it was "love at first sight." I hated learning German.

We belonged to a community of "Yekkim" and Hungarians. The community was very warm, and my father and mother z"l were among the "pillars of the community." Later, the community built kindergartens and an elementary school, so my younger brother was privileged to learn at a Jewish school from 1st grade.

From the age of six we joined the local Bnei Akiva branch, at the age of 15 was a I counselor, and at 16, I was "head of the branch" together with two childhood friends. Thanks to Bnei Akiva, we were privileged to make Aliyah at a young age.

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK)What originally brought you to Bet El?

Esther Dardik (ED): My husband and I moved to Bet El in the summer of 5752 (1992). We have been looking for a yishuv to move to. We had looked at many yishuvim ... we also checked out Bet El on the recommendation of friends, who told us that the education here is excellent. We also had the option of purchasing an apartment here, and so, Barukh HaShem, we were led here with hashgacha pratit [personal supervision by HaShem].

That same year the Jeanie Gluck High School Academy for Girls was established and headed by the dear Rabbanit Malka and Rav Elimelekh Frucht. Our daughter was privileged to learn there in the first class.

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK)What does your work consist of on a daily basis?

Esther Dardik (ED): At work I'm responsible for: student registration, scheduling phone calls, mailings, recruitment rejections, information and assistance to students on various issues, taking care of tuition fees, contacting the parents of students, printing, receiving donations, etc.

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK)What is the most important thing that you contribute to Bet El Institutions and what aspect of your job is most meaningful to you?

Esther Dardik (ED): I think that the most important this I contribute here (and it's also the most meaningful part of my job) is the patience and tolerance that HaShem as bestowed upon me with His great Goodness!

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK): Tell me a little about your family life, and how you met your husband.

Esther Dardik (ED): I met my husband (who's also from Argentina) in Israel in 5936 (1976), when I was learning at the Gold Institute in Jerusalem. The Gold Institute was a boarding school for girls from abroad and 90% of the women were American. That year no other girls came from South America - I was the only Spanish speaker!! Barukh HaShem I knew Hebrew very well since I had learned at a Jewish high school abroad.

We traveled to Argentina to get married because both our families were there, and before we left we decided together to, with the help of Hashem, make Aliyah immediately after the wedding. I knew that if we would stay there for a few years, it would be very difficult for us to make Aliyah because we would be "spoiled" there and receive almost everything "on a silver platter" ... and we knew the our place was in the Land of Israel.

At the age of 20 I made Aliyah with my husband when I was pregnant with our eldest daughter, Dalia. We have six "Sabra" babies all together, mamash Hasdei HaShem [really by the goodness of G-d]! We have, Barukh HaShem, many wonderful grandchildren, and we are family continues to grow.


My husband and I with two of our grandchildren

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK)Tell me a little bit about your family life.

Esther Dardik (ED)Barukh HaShem, of my six children, five are married with children. Dalia has been a kindergarten / grade school teacher for about 20 years at the Talmud Torah in the yishuv Mikhmash. Yael has been a teacher at an elementary school for over 15 years. Moshe and his wife Shira work at our Bet El Institutions. Miriam (Miri) and her husband moved from Bet El about five years ago to garner support ands contribute to a garin [core group of religious-Zionist residents] in the city Or Akiva. Tamar and her familiy live in the yishuv Brukhin, which is located five minutes from Ariel. And Uriel is a student at Ben Gurion University in Be'er Sheva.

Sharona Eshet-Kohen (SEK): Last question: What is the most important life lesson you've learned during your time working at Bet El Institutions?

Esther Dardik (ED): I've learned many things at my place of work - many technical and practical things - but the main thing for me has been being in an environment of kind and giving people, righteous people, and Torah scholars, from whom I've learned so much about the kind of person I should strive to be! Barukh HaShem I am so privileged to work in a place like this!

[Interview conducted by Sharona Eshet-Kohen, Online Media Director of Bet El Institutions]