Print this post

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Two Dead in Copter Crash: Appreciating Israel's Human Resources

by Hillel Fendel

Appreciating Israel's Human Resources – and the Critical Contributions Made Even During Training

Commanders meet survivor of IAF helicopter crash

The Israel Air Force helicopter crash last week that claimed the lives of two officers also shined a spotlight on Israel's best assets: the quality and humanity of its human resources.

Captain Ron Bierman, the only one of the three crew members who survived the crash, said afterwards from his hospital bed, "After I was able to get out of the sinking helicopter, I tried over and over to get my friends out as well – but I just couldn't."  Choking up, he said, "I send a lot of strength and love to the Fogel and Sachyani families. Be strong."

The crash occurred on Monday night, Jan. 3, only about 200 meters from the Haifa coast. Lt.-Col. Erez Sachyani, married and father of three, and Maj. Chen Fogel were killed.

Bierman received compliments and encouragement all around for his calm and courageous behavior. IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Aviv Kokhavi visited him in the hospital and told him, "The way in which you functioned, and your efforts to fully exhaust every possibility to rescue the two pilots are extraordinarily appreciated. I heard your conversation with the emergency center, and I could see that you were in full control, focused, goal-based, and knowledgeable, and that you did all you could. I saw what you were focused on, how much you cared, how humane you are, and how much of a people-person you are. I am very proud of you, and give you a large embrace."

Kohavi said afterwards, "He made all the efforts to save his friends, the pilots, but to our great sorrow, it didn't work. The pilots tried to land the craft in the best way possible, after the engine explosion, and that's apparently what helped Ron remain alive. He is an extraordinary man, and we are fortunate that we have officers like him."

Israel Navy Commander Gen. David Saar Salama visited Bierman and said, "You acted with responsibility, initiative, and friendship. You did everything you could."

Shai Kelech, an IDF combat pilot in the reserves, paid a consolation visit to the Sachyani family, and related afterwards:

"A few years ago, only a few seconds of vertigo inside a cloud separated between my life and my apparent death. It happened while I was trying to land a plane on a dark night during a training mission. As one of those 'almost casualties' in an Israel Air Force (IAF) accident, I felt that I had to pay a shiva visit to the family of Erez Sachyani, with whom I had spent a week a few years ago during a training course. During the course of that week, Erez left an indelible impression on me with his magical and heart-penetrating smile, purity of heart, pleasantness of conversation, and more.

"At the shiva, I sat down near Erez's father, and listened attentively to the wonderful stories being told about his late son. A broad picture gradually unfolded before me of goodness and truth, of principles and ideology, of love and pursuit of peace; of a pilot of great humility, one who often sought counsel from others, one whom aspiring pilots would strive to emulate.

"After about an hour and a half, his father turned to me and asked, "You were a friend of Erez?" I told him my name and how I knew his son, and said, "I thought I could encourage you a bit, but I see that I am receiving strengths from you…"

"As someone who had to ask himself many times, "What would be the existential point of such a death?" it was very important for me to tell Erez's father that he must not for a moment think that death in an IAF training accident was for naught. "Whatever we do in any military framework for our country," I said, "is an integral part of protecting our national security. Every training event is a preparation for an operation or a battle – and especially in the Air Force, where every takeoff is intrinsically dangerous. The IDF could not have become one of the best armies in the world unless it had paid the price of the unavoidable mistakes it experienced as it was being built.

"He asked how I had become religious, and I explained that had to do with something he, as a Zionist pioneer "settler" in the Galilee, could appreciate: "I looked for where the Zionism on which I had grown up in the kibbutz – settlement, Aliyah, security – was mostly happening…"

At the end of our talk, Erez's father thanked me, and I was ashamed: "To me you say thank you? It is to you that the entire nation bows and gives thanks. The sacrifice of your son unites and empowers Am Yisrael, and I am the one to thank you, in my name and in the name of all who could not come here to say it in person."